This is what my kids bathroom counter top looks like:
In order: NyQuil, Ibuprofin, Tylenol, Mucinex (wonderful stuff), Benadryl and Gentle Vapors (another amazing invention).
Between the three kids I am using all six of these. Each one has a cold, but each cold is different. I also have their dosage cups lined up on the other side of the counter in order of age, so I don't exchange germs (yes, I wash the dosage cups out).
They are all getting over their colds at different times, too. I wish they would all just pick a day and get better.
Along those lines, I am afraid we have created a die-hard child. Noah looks terrible, sounds terrible, and I am pretty sure he feels the same, however he won't give in. He has insisted on going to school the past two days, and even made it through an hour of soccer practice, against my unsuccessful pleading otherwise. I have a feeling that I have "a child just like me" as my dad always wished upon me.
However, all this medicine came in handy last night when Pete was looking up some medical stuff, and asked me if I knew of a common decongestant. Well, he was in luck! I had just been to the store and read about ten different decongestant boxes. My answer was Diphenhydramine.
Are you all proud of me? Put that in your gee-whiz file.

23 comments:
Oh I hope your little ones get better soon. Wehave a nasty cold going around in our house right now. My husband is sick and so is our son. Luckly our daughter hasn't caught it yet.
Wait...today isn't Friday! You're messin' with me, aren't you?? I have a hard enough time keeping track of what day it is as it is right now. Why would you do this to me?? Ah well, I do hope your beautiful little ones get better soon.
Oh, I HATE this part of the season. And I am usually a lover of all things Fall. I hope your shorties get better fast and all on the same day. :)
Oh, and they make Children's Nyquil??? Does it make them feel like the adult kind makes me feel?
Hello, new to your site from PSF. I do love the design and music. Very creative! As for that list of medications..yikes! I do not know how you keep it all straight. Do hope they are over it soon..in time for Halloween maybe?
Consider it FILED. Tis the season alright! Hope he feels better SOON!
It's already in there!
Children's Nyquil might just be the greatest invention of all time. Even better than sliced bread.
I think Annie probably needs a hug from her favorite uncle.
Hopefully, your brother doesn't read this.
whenever i say guaifenesin my husband gets a contorted look of mass confusion on his face. i love it!
happy PSF!!!
Oh man. I hope your kiddos feel better soon! That can't be fun on them nor you.
Oh I hate sick kids - that usually means I will be next - hope that will not be your case!!
Ouch, 3 with colds, that's a handful. I hope they're feeling better soon. They sure are cuties!
Actually Diphenydramine is Benadryl which is an antihistamine, not decongestant. A good decongestant is Sudafed or pseudoephedrine. Which is now sold behind the pharmacy counter.
I'm very impressed with your knowledge!
I'm sorry your little ones are so sick. :(
My Photo Story Friday
I hope your children are feeling better soon.
Happy PSF!
Ah yes, the dreaded cold season has hit already as well. I like to stock up on the things I can use during these times. My children are 2.5 and 10 months, so my list is very limited, but still, having the stuff on hand helps!
I hope everyone is feeling better soon!
ok, Andie corrected me. Dyphenhydramine is an anihistamine. Guess my gee-whiz file is mis-filed!
When I took marketing at BYU, our teacher told us about products with the same ingredients just marketed a different way to make money. Sometimes business will sell the same thing made just for cough, or just for decongestant, or just for flu symptoms, when actually it is the same product. A parent ends up buying all of them. I still have a hard time with this and want to buy them all.
Another thing marketing talked about was the same exact pregnancy tests. One marketed for a cheaper price to knocked up teenagers, the other to the very grateful mother higher price, different packaging. Interesting. Just what I thought of when I read your blog.
Seems like everyone has sickies this week! I hope they feel better soon.
Pam, please call us (Andie or I) or drop a note if you guys have any questions about meds...especially childrens meds. Between the two of us, we have a combined 13 years of pharmacy practice under our belts. Please don't hesitate!
When my kids get sick we tend to cycle all around the house too... hope they are all better soon and your little son gets better in spite of his determination!!
Aw, I hope they start feeling better soon.. Your poor little guys..
You are my hero! My kids all have colds too, so I think I'm going to try some of that stuff - especially the mucinex. Love ya
Yeah I know all about the fun of a bunch of sickies! we've been having a wonderful few weeks! 2 weeks of flu like symptoms and going on 3 weeks of pink eye! SO not fun and SO tired of it! Good Luck!
Impressive medical term! I know who to come to when my little one gets sick-that's for sure!
Great job keeping track of all of those colds. Looks like a tough job.
Post a Comment