I have an abundance of Christmas music in my home, like most people. I have collected it since I got married (before that I relied on my mom's Christmas music), although a lot of the music that I have was influenced by my mom. I have ended up listening to the same things my mom did, while I was growing up, such as John Denver, and the Carpenters.
So here is what made it onto my i-pod this year, in no particular order:
Ryan Shupe and The RubberBand: The Gift
Anyone who has ever heard of Ryan Shupe loves his music. He is so funny, and is even better in concert. I discovered him years ago at Weber State, and now that he plays frequently with Peter Breinholt, I listen to him a lot. This is a fun CD with lots of classics.
Ultimate Holiday Collection
I bought this on Black Friday for $5.00, thinking it was a steal. However, it is still the same price today. It's a good mix of songs by some of today's popular artists. I love Tori Amos, and she sings "Little Drummer Boy" on this disc.
Enya: And Winter Came
This is her newest CD, and it might be her first Christmas album, I am not quite sure. Everyone loves Enya, and I love her Celtic sound. She has some very original tracks and some very classic ones, one of my favorites being "Veni, Veni, Emmanuel." It's a great CD if you are looking to add to your collection this year.
Brian Crain: A Traditional Christmas
My mom discovered Brian Crain a few years ago, and we can't seem to get enough of him. He is all piano, which I could listen to all day. This is an awesome CD to just sit and listen to while admiring your Christmas tree (yes, I do that.)
Josh Groban: Noel
Duh... Not much to say about this one. Anything this man does is amazing. His voice makes me melt.
Sarah McLachlan: Wintersong
I love her music. Years ago, I danced to one of these songs, "Song For A Winter's Night," and was excited to find it was on this CD. She also has a beautiful version of Happy Christmas (War Is Over) which is one of my favorites.
SheDaisy: Brand New Year
I bought this CD about 8 years ago in an attempt to find a song to choreograph a routine for a Christmas recital to. Well, I found it and loved the rest of the CD. My favorite on this disc is "What Child Is This." And hey, who doesn't want to stay true to the Utah girls?
Peter Breinholt: Noel
This is by far, my favorite Christmas CD. If this was the only one that I owned, I would be content. Pete and I discovered Breinholt at an event at Weber State, and have listened to him since then. I have seen every song on this disc played live, which makes it even better. He plays traditional Christmas songs, as my brother-in-law said, "like they were meant to be played." It's beautiful. He is playing at the Rose Wagner Theater this month if you Utahn's want to see him, although my bet is that the shows are sold out.
The Hotel Cafe: Winter Songs
I like this CD because it is kind of cheesy. It is the kind of disc I would use for an entire Christmas dance recital. However, I LOVE the version of "Silent Night" on this disc. Enough said.
Te Polar Express Soundtrack
This is Noah's favorite Christmas movie, and it's only fitting that we have the soundtrack. Their are some great songs on this disc, my favorites being "When Christmas Comes To Town" and "Believe." Of Course, my kids like the Hot Chocolate song.
Paul Cardall: The Christmas Box
These are all songs that are based off the book "The Christmas Box." They are all beautiful. I saw this concert as well, and the book was read as each song was played. His music fits the book perfectly.
Jim Brickman: The Gift
My mom sent this to me this year, although I have heard it many times before. He has a beautiful way with the piano, and the song "The Gift" is gorgeous. If you think you have never heard of Brickman, you will recognize this song.
Disney's Santa Sing-A-Long
My mom sent this to the kids this year. Noah likes all the voices, and the fact that they sing "Up On The Housetop," which is what he is singing in his Christmas program tonight. It's a fun CD for them to dance around to.
A Very Special Christmas
I actually only have one song from this CD on my i-pod: Christmastime by the Smashing Pumpkins. I was amazed that they could sing such a pretty song, although it's very Pumkins-esque. I really like it.
Here are the CD's I really like, but didn't make it all the way to the i-pod:
Voice Male: Jingles 2
All the Mannheim Steamroller CD's I own
Air Supply: The Christmas Album (this is Pete's, but I like it)
Kurt Bestor: Christmas
John Denver and the Muppets Christmas














1 comment:
I LOVE Ryan Shupe and the RubberBand. I've been listening to them for years. I actually know the drummer, Bart Olson. His family lives in my hometown and used to live 2 blocks from my house so I played with some of his younger siblings all the time. It was a big family and they played together as The Olson Family Fiddlers. One of my favorite things I've seen RSRB do in concert is all line up and guy holding the instrument will do the fingering while the man next to him does the bowing. At the end of the line Bart comes around from the drums and plays Ryan's fiddle.
Um, yeah, so with that long comment can you tell I like them?!
Thanks for the rest of your list too!
Post a Comment