Before we left Holland, we hit one more small city called Zaans Schans. It's near Amsterdam, and is known for it's windmills (like most of the cities in the area). There were oil mills, water mills and all sorts of others. The city itself is a bit touristy, however, right in the middle of all of it is a very small little village with houses. The people living there have just gotten used to having tourists walking in their backyard.
Our first stop was the Cheese Farm.
Rows and rows of cheese.
There were samplings of each kind of cheese available. I think the kids thought we were eating lunch there. We ate a lot of cheese. And yes, we bought some, too.
We then strolled along the river and saw lots of mills. It really was quite a sight.
Across the river is the other half of the city.
These are the houses among all the farms and factories.
Another pair of giant shoes in front of the wooden shoe factory.
Pete got up-close and personal with a very large swan.
Inside the wooden shoe factory there was a display of all sort of different clogs. These were my favorite. They are called wedding shoes, used specifically and made uniquely for the bride. These were made in 1907.
Newer wedding shoes.
And these shoes were the kids' favorites.
Which pair would you like?
Pete received a boot to the butt.
This is what we came home with. We also bought a very small pair to hang on our Christmas tree.
And the cheese. We have already cut into two of these plus the mustard. It's amazing!


















2 comments:
I love all your post and pictures and stories, but every time I read/look at them I think I literally glow green with envy. Amazing!
What a beautiful place! I'm so glad you got to go. Thanks for letting us follow you up to Holland this weekend. It was wonderful!
Post a Comment