Monday, November 2, 2009

Our Garmisch Trip: Day Five

This was our last day in Garmisch, so we packed up... who am I kidding?  I packed up the van while Pete finished at the conference, and we headed to a few more sights before going home.  


The Edelweiss Resort.


A few family shots.



Our first stop was the Linderhof Palace, another of Ludwig's huge masterpieces.  This is the only of his four palaces/castles to be finished before his early death.
There are actually many other small houses on the land, for others to stay in back in the King's time.  It was just too cold to visit all of them.



Apparently this guy doesn't appreciate all the tourists.


I thought this was really cool... These four statues were "holding up" part of the palace.





The front entrance.


The Linderhof Palace is best known for it's immaculate gardens.  In the spring and summer time, the gardens are in full bloom and beautiful.  We plan on going back to see them.    



Super cute kids.


This waterfall looks like it goes on forever.  This is directly behind the palace, and splits the east and west gardens.




A quick walk through one side of the garden...





You can take another 20 minute tour up and around the entire garden area, but because it was so cold, we opted out of that tour.

Again, I couldn't take pictures inside the palace, so I took some from the internet.
This is the Hall Of Mirrors. The entire room is covered in mirrors, so that if you look into one, you see the reflection of the one behind, and it continues to bounce back and forth, making the room look very large, and like it goes on forever.  
Familiar to any of my friends?


The Tapestry Chamber.


The Blue Cabinet.  There were also cabinets in pink, yellow and purple, that looked exactly alike.


The Dining Room.  This was the coolest room, I thought.
The king, in his later years, came to enjoy his solitude, so much that he switched his arcadian rhythms, and slept during the day and stayed awake at night, just to be away from his staff.  In this dining room, he had a special floor installed that was opened by a large crank.  The dining table sat on this floor, and when the crank was turned the floor opened and the table dropped directly into the kitchen.  The staff loaded the table with his food, cranked the wheel and sent the food upstairs.  He did all this just so he wouldn't have to see a single soul during his meal.  


And this was his bedroom.  Very ornate and beautiful.  The large area in front of his bed was a visiting area, or an audience area.  Visitors (which he didn't have many of) came into this area while the King stayed in his bed.

After the palace, we took a drive to small town called Ettal that is known for it's woodwork.  We stopped in a shop and bought a few items; a nativity, a candle holder, some wood toys for the kids and a beautiful jewelry box.  That is a stop I will make every time I go to Garmisch.


1 comment:

Becki said...

This makes me homesick for Germany, I have been in all those places and they are so beautiful! Looks like you are having some fun in between all the work.:)