So, this happened to me back in August, and I really only told a few people about it, but I remembered it today and had to share it.
Just before I left the states, I decided to try and find a new Temple dress. I had looked at all the big stores and hadn't found one, so I went to a small LDS store near my parents house. It's in a very old part of Layton, UT, and the parking stalls were a bit small. I parked the car next to a VERY LARGE Ford Expedition, who took up all of her stall, and was on the line on both sides. Noah opened the door before I could tell him to be careful, and bumped the VERY LARGE Expedition.
Well... the driver happened to be sitting in it. I walked over to her, as she opened the door and got off her phone saying "I gotta go. Some kid hit my car."
When she opened the door, she said "Um, your kid just hit my car."
I replied, "Yes, I know, is the door ok?"
To which she replied, "No, but WHATEVER!"
and then slammed the door in my face.
So I took Noah to the sidewalk, got down to his level and explained to him what happened. I didn't get mad at him; it was clearly an accident. But I told him that the car door had been scratched (or so the lady claimed, but I looked at it, and our door hit the rubber runner on her door, and didn't hurt it at all). At any rate, he knew what had happened, and we talked about opening the door slowly next time.
I took the kids into the store, and began looking at dresses, when the woman came in and asked the owner where I was. She came to me and said, "Lady, did you even talk to your son about what he did?"
I said, "Of course I did. Didn't you see me do it? I was right next to your car."
She replied, "no I didn't see it, and I am very upset that you didn't talk to him about what he did wrong. I mean, what kind of mother are you if you let your kids get away with something like that?"
"Like I said, ma'am, I did talk to him about it."
Then she said, "well, you didn't even apologize to me."
By now I was FUMING and said, "Lady... you slammed the door in my face. Did you want me to knock on the door after you slammed it in my face and apologize to you?"
Then she said, "Well, I just wonder what kind of example you are setting for your kids." To which I responded, "What kind of example are you setting right now?"
As she turned and left the building, she yelled to me, "Well, it's a good thing you're in this kind of store... you need some savin'!"
6 comments:
I am SO glad you wrote this one down...it still makes me laugh. And shake my head at the weirdos in the world...:)
I think you did the right thing. She probably wanted you to smack your son, or some kind of physical punishment. I'm glad you didnt mind that crazy lady[:
Oh my gosh... I can so not see that happening to YOU! We all know it was that lady that "needed some savin" : ) That lady better be glad it was you and not me. : P
~Stacy~
Wow, seriously?? Some people really aren't very nice.
Ha, ha, ha! Ahh, that just makes me laugh everytime I think about it!
UN.BE.LIEVABLE. Insane lady can't see for the giant Expedition blocking her perception of reality. And I mean that on more than the obvious level...
Post a Comment