Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Financial Joys of Living in Europe...

... Please sense the sarcasm in my voice.

Living in Europe has been wonderful.  We have seen so many things in the last few months that we wouldn't ever experience in the States.  And in some ways, we are saving money; the government pays for our home and utilities, and that really is a blessing.  
However, we are starting to see how, being a soldiers family overseas, we are also financially taken advantage of.  
First example:  
I took my van in to have the oil changed.  We were told if we had it changed on the economy (in Germany) then we would have to buy our own oil first and take it to them.  Well, since I was already going to be on post, I just took it to the shop there.  I filled out the necessary paperwork, and then signed the one that said in so many words,  "Oil change, $24.95."  No problem.
When I picked up the van and paid for it, I was charged almost $50.  Turns out, the oil isn't included in the cost of the oil change.  So, I paid for 5 quarts of oil on top of the oil change itself.  Ug.

Second example:
As soldiers, we are limited in our options for things like internet and cell phone service, and there is no such thing as a military clause here, meaning if you sign a contract, and then have to move, you still have to pay out the remainder of your contract.  So most Americans here have pre-paid phones, but there isn't an option like that for internet service.  
So, we are charged about 50 Euro for our service, which comes out to about $75.  That's just our internet and land line.  Incidentally, it's cheaper for me to call the states on that line than it is to call my next door neighbor. 
We got our bill the other day, and it was roughly 120 Euros, or $200!!!!
We were charged a 25 Euro fee because we had a bad line and someone had to come look at it.  In their eyes, the bad line was our fault, which is why we were charged the fee (How in the HECK can a bad line be our fault?).  We were also charged a 50 Euro fee to cover the technicians drive to our house!
If we want to get out of this contract, which we desperately do, we will be charged the monthly fee for the remainder of our contract.  That would be 50 Euro for the next 10 months.  That comes out to be about $750.  Just to cancel the contract. Ug again.
So, we are stuck with a few things we just can't do anything about over here.  It's frustrating, to say the least.  And we are learning our lessons, and making sure that anyone else that comes in contact with us about coming over here knows these things.  We are enjoying our time, we just wish things were explained to us a little better before we got here.  Oh well.  

2 comments:

Scilley Family said...

How crazy. It is amazing how things are so different everywhere. I love your Christmas Card at the top of the page. It is so cute! The oil change thing is really crazy. I hope you don't get anymore surprises.

Tera said...

I had heard before we came that we should not trust the car mechanics on post, but $50? That is ridiculous! I need an oil change too. Perhaps Erick will just do it himself...hmm.