Thursday, June 18, 2009

Stormy Night

Last Night we had a pretty major storm; big enough that the tornado sirens went off again.  I don't think there were any touches, but it was still a nasty storm.  Just as I got home from teaching a class, it got dark and cloudy and within a few minutes, it looked like this.    

Pete went out to take a few pictures while I rescued the Sister missionaries who were watching the storm approach them.  

We stayed out on the porch and watched the rain, thunder and lightning, and then the rain turned to pea-sized hail, and we decided to go inside rather than continue to be pelted.  
The highlight of the storm came when lighting struck the electrical tower directly in front of our house.  It is only about a half-mile away, but the view is right in front of our porch.  The lightning hit, turned into a double streak, created a bunch of sparks, and lit up the entire sky.  It was amazing! Somehow, we didn't lose any power.


The missionaries had fun playing in the rain with the kids. I think they had more fun than any of us.  We put our camping chairs out on the porch and they just hung out and watched the storm.  Pete and I love watching these storms, and we will actually miss sitting out on the porch and watching them after we move.

1 comment:

Jenn Whitesides said...

We have fantastic thunderstorms here too...however not so fantastic when it's in the middle of the night and I'm praying my kids don't wake up (which happens quite often)! I love that picture of your kids walking across the bridge holding hands. Did you take that one yourself? I really want to get that same camera that you have...still trying to talk Joe into that one!