Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Druggie

So I have had allergies as long as I can remember.  I've never had a summer-except for the ones that I was pregnant or nursing- that I didn't have to depend on allergy medication to survive.  Here in Tennessee, my allergies have started a little early, so along with the rest of the state, I headed to the pharmacy for Claritin-D.  Now, I usually get the 12 hour kind, and take 2 per day, because the 24 hour stuff just doesn't last long enough. 
Last week, after taking the Claritin for a few days, I started feeling strange, like maybe I was getting sick.  My body was a little tingly, I was completely dehydrated, however I had tons of energy. I also went through a few days of complete insomnia.  So, one day I was taking my Claritin and noticed that there were only 15 pills in the box, which I thought was strange because there are usually more than that.  I looked harder at the box and realized that they were the 24 hours pills.
Everything made sense.
I was totally overdosing myself!
I laughed at myself for a minute, and then sent a text message to my friend Jon, who is in the pharmacy business, explaining to him what I had done.  He responded saying that I should stop taking it for a few days; what I had been taking was slow-release, so I kept giving myself a bigger buzz every time I took it.
I stopped taking it and went 4 days without needing anymore! 
The story was even funnier at 2 in the morning with a bunch of girls (just got back from my girls trip).  We laughed every time someone brought it up.

At least now I know I don't really need to turn to street drugs ever... just need some Claritin.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Be careful Pam. I always tell my patients that Claritin-D is a gateway drug to MUCH harder drugs, such as Allegra-D or Zyrtec-D. I've even seen, in some "extreme" cases, people make the jump all the way to Benedryl. It's a scary world out there filled with allergies, so be careful!

Cecily R said...

I figured it out...I think. I can't comment on the blog when I'm still technically in FB...whatever.

Still a great story my druggie friend!!

P.S. I was just looking at the pics on your sidebar and I can't believe how much Annie looks like you!! Holy crap that kid is CUTE!!!

Marly said...

Looks like you should read the labels better :) How did your buz feel? ;)

Rammells said...

Too funny! I had no idea you had a blog, Pam. Cute family and good luck in Germany!