
I can't believe Noah is 5! It's amazing. I remember waiting to get pregnant, for about a year, and once I found out that I was, I just knew it was a boy. My pregnancy with Noah was the kind that every woman wants for her first. It was smooth, and virtually problem free. I was in an accident when I was 8 weeks along, but there was no problem. I taught dance until 2 days before I delivered him, and I had one of my youngest dancers say to me, "teacher, I bet it's really hard to dance with that big belly!" I tore my round ligament, which I am told is common in multiples, and athletes (I wasn't either one). It didn't hurt nearly as bad as it did with the following pregnancies.
Noah came on schedule-2 days before his due date, weighing in at 6 lbs, 12 oz. He was perfect. We had decided not to find out the gender of the baby, so everyone in the room was on the edge of their seats, waiting to find out. When the doc told me it was a boy, the first thing I asked, which I had never thought of previously was, "does he have my chin?"
Many people told us that Noah was perfect-looking child; that is that his features were very well-proportioned. His eyes were (and still are) absolutely stunning. I had a lot of people mistake him for a girl (he was bald) because, "boys just don't have pretty eyes like that."



He was a flirt from the get-go. As soon as he learned to say hi, he said it to everyone. If it was a girl, there was usually a slight tip of the head, and the hi sounded more like, "HIIIIIIEEEEEE." He also learned to roll at 4 months, and quickly discovered that if he kept rolling, he wouldn't fall asleep. At 6 months he learned to crawl, and that was the end of all sanity at our house. He hasn't stopped moving since.
Noah is such a smart kid- a problem solver. You can't hide anything from him, or put it somewhere he can't reach. He'll figure it out. Right now he loves computer games. He loves figuring out how to play them, and trying to beat them. He likes puzzles, and drawing. He loves being outside doing anything. Right now it's jumping on his new pogo stick.

There are so many things I love about Noah, so it will be hard to pin them down, but I am stealing a friend's idea (thanks, Cec) and I will name one thing I love about Noah for each of his five years.
5. His laugh: Someone at church asked me the other day what my favorite thing about Noah was. I automatically answered, "his laugh." Noah has the best laugh on the earth. It's deep and hearty, and so contagious. You have to laugh when he does. He finds so many things funny, and of course he has a fake laugh, too. But if you get him going, it's awesome. Pete tickles him just to hear the laugh.
4. His Curiosity: He wants to know about everything. "Why is this?" and "Why is that?" Even before he could talk, we could tell he wanted to know about things. He would stare, and wonder, and once he figured out what his plan was, there was no changing his mind. When he learned to walk, he would get to the stairs and stick one foot over the edge and just wait. He wanted to make sure we were looking when he found out what would happen next.
3. His Agility: We figured that Noah would be the first one of our children to end up in the E.R., however he has never needed anything close. Noah is a daredevil, to say the least. But he is so coordinated, we have never had to worry about him. It's actually been a blessing in a way. I've never worried watching him climb to the top of a tree, or a pole, or whatever it may be. He is also very willing to teach someone else to climb or jump. He wants his friends to be able to do what he can do. He has been ice skating and bike riding, and of course the pogo stick, and he has done them all very well. He even did very well at rock climbing when he was 4 years old.


2. He is an amazing older brother: When Pete brought Noah to the hospital to see Annie after she was born, he came running into the room screaming "baby Annie!" and began kissing her over and over. He did the same with Cooper. He is so willing to help Annie when she needs it, and has taught her many things, even if he wasn't trying. Annie learned 'please' and 'thank-you' from Noah, and also funny things like saying "oh, man" and "oh darnation!" He understands a lot more with Cooper, and has been helping me a lot with things like getting toys and diapers and blankets for the baby. Noah, as active and crazy a he is, is the reason I get through the day. He does the things that I can't when my hands are full.


1. His Compassion:As long as I can remember, Noah has had a very sensitive side. Not the whiny-sensitivity, but he truly cares about people. When someone gets hurt, Noah is the first to their side, making sure that they are ok. He gives hugs and kisses all the time, to many different people, and he is very aware of someone in need of some love. When he senses sadness or stress in me, he snuggles up to me, and almost always says 'I love you, mom.' If Cooper is sad, he is the first to his side to cheer him up. I have always sensed a very Christ-like love in Noah.


I could go on and on about Noah. I want to be a better mother for all of my children, but especially Noah. I feel like since he was my first, that I probably messed up a lot with him, and I also feel like he is noticing the things that I do more. I need to be a better mom so that he knows just how much I really love him, although I don't think there has been any doubt on his part. I thank Heavenly Father everyday for sending Noah to me. He came at a time when I needed him, in so many ways. I still can't believe that he is five, but I am completely looking forward to the next five, and more after that.

I love you, monkey.
2 comments:
Five is a big step for a mom. It means school is on the horizon and that is amazing and fun and scary all at the same time. He will do great. And you will too.
Happy Birthday Noah!!!
Saying Noah is a daredevil is such an understatement. I will never forget one experience from the trip that the whole family made to the cabin in Heber City last summer: There was a deck on the main floor that was a good ten feet off of the ground in the rear of the cabin. Noah, being the climber that he is was constantly exploring the outer edge of the deck. At one point, as some of us were on the side patio, we could hear a small voice coming form the back yard. The voice said, calmly, matter-of-factly "Could someone hewp me pwease?"
We investigated and found Noah, hanging nine feet off the ground, by his finger tips to the bottom edge of the deck. If I had time, I'd mention trying to get him out of the big old tree in Fruit Heights.
Happy Birthday Noah!
Post a Comment