Tuesday, June 3, 2008

How Do I Feed My Child?

Cooper does not care at all about eating. He tolerates the bottle, and even some juice, but when it comes to rice or cereal or fruits and veggies, he becomes very Anti-food. The strange thing is that he likes pickles when nobody else in the family does. I know your asking 'why would he be eating a pickle if nobody else eats them?' Well, it's because we all went to lunch one day, and Pete and I both got sandwiches that came with a dill pickle on the side. When Cooper wouldn't settle down, we stuck the pickle in his mouth and he went nuts!
However, one cannot survive on pickles and formula, or at least that's what I would assume. So my question is, how do I feed my child? How do I get him to eat? Does anyone have any suggestions? Or do you just want to come here and take over? I will totally let you do that!

5 comments:

Cecily R said...

Gracie ate mostly formula for the first year. She ate a TON of it. And she's fine. My nephew is 7 and only eats chicken nuggets. His doc says he's perfectly healthy, so let it go. I don't know much about this stuff, but I'd be willing to bet Cooper is just fine. :)

Laurie said...

Have you tried a mesh food bag? I know Munchkin makes one and my sister loves to use it. I think sausages are a current favorite with her baby. :)
That way you can just throw stuff in to see if they like it rather than more effort in prep or opening something that never gets touched. Plus his getting to work at it himself and discover tastes he likes might be what he wants rather than being fed.
Good luck!

Jenni said...

My sister's son just went through exactly the same thing, only he was nursing and at six to seven months, ONLY he wanted to nurse exclusively. She had a hard time with that and went to the Doctor to figure out what to do, and then one day, he decided to eat. So it might just be a wait it out thing. Apparently everyone has stories like this.

Sharon said...

My mom always said, "He'll eat when he's hungry." I've found that to be true with my kids. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat what I give them. If they refuse, well, I guess they weren't all that hungry after all.

Nicki said...

I wish I could help you. My Sadie is living proof I don't know how to feed kids either. My kids also liked the little food bag...we used the food bag for fresh fruit. Also, try lots of things. Forget the "don't give them sweet stuff first or they won't eat veggies". My kids started on fruit and still eat veggies as well as any other kid.