Sunday, May 25, 2008

I always forget something...

I wanted to put this in the story about Pete's graduation, but forgot, and it's worth mentioning. When we went to Pete's Hooding ceremony last Saturday, I noticed that the lighting in the church was a little strange, so I decided to pull my camera out early to find the right setting. As I took my test pictures, I realized there was no memory card in the camera! What a day to forget the memory card! So I asked a few people if they had one, but of course there weren't any to fit my camera. So I called my friend Mandie, to see if she had left for the ceremony yet, hoping she could bring mine, but she was almost to the church herself. So I borrowed some cash from my mom, and headed out of the church, not really sure where I was going to go.
I thought I remembered there was a radio shack near the school (about 6 blocks away), but when I asked about it, I was told it was not there anymore, but there was a Walgreens close to where the radio shack used to be. So I started speed-walking. At the same time, Pete and his dad came up the street; they had just parked the car. I decided I couldn't walk fast enough in my heels, so I took them off and started sprinting. Of course Pete and his dad were a little confused, and I don't think I explained myself very well as I was running, but I made it to Walgreens. Now just a note-I was totally taking a risk by running barefoot throught the streets of Milwaukee!
Once I got the card, I needed to open the package, and that was going to be a task. Of course, the card itself is 1 inch square, but the packaging is about 6x12, and there is no way to open it by hand. I asked the guy behind the counter for some scissors, and he handed me a pair of kiddie-safe scissors. The minute I tried to use them they fell apart. So the man behind me thought he might be able to rip it open, and just as I thought, he couldn't.
I took off down the road (barefoot again)not knowing how to get this thing open. So as I was running, I started folding the package over and over again, hoping to make a crease in the plastic. It worked, and I tried ripping it open once, and sliced my finger. The next try opened it up.
My feet were safe (thank goodness) and I got a cut on my finger, but I was able to get the pictures I wanted. Moral of the story: always make sure you have your memory card, and don't try to open a hard plastic package with your bare hands.

2 comments:

Chris said...

With luck like that, I would think you were related to me

Laurie said...

You're a braver woman than I running barefoot in downtown Milwaukee! Ugh! That's dedication!