Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hodson Invasion: Prague

The last time I was in Prague, I ran a half-marathon.
The time before that I took over 700 pictures.
This time I didn't take very many pictures, but that doesn't mean it isn't my favorite city in Europe so far. I was just excited to show my family around.   This was a trip we took without the kids, thanks to my neighbor Tera.  
The highlight of this trip for me was the crazy parking experience.  
We decided to park underground, thinking that my van would fit just fine.  Well, it did, except for actually taking the van underground.  The turn on the ramp was roughly the same width as my van, and it was about a 90 degree turn to get into it.  My mom had to get out and guide me the whole way down, and the whole way back up, with about an inch or two on either side of the van.  It was a good thing I had on deodorant, cause I was sweating.

A view of the tight roads.


I've never noticed this before, but look what the cover says....
Maybe this is where the nickname Pamepoo comes from...

Prague has some awesomely-cool doors.
'
Views of the city from on top of St. Nicholas  church.


Mom and Dad.

Ruth and Jody.


On the walk up to the Cathedral.

The Castle.


This cathedral, the Cathedral of St. Vitus, is my favorite so far.  
The first time I came and took pictures, the building was black.  Only later did I learn that is actually this orange-ish color, and that they have to clean the black off of it occasionally. 





Someday I will figure out how to photograph windows.


I had never noticed this before, and Jody pointed it out.  
It's only half of a window.



Funny story:  While we were walking through the cathedral, we ran into about 5 guided tours.  They were all in different languages; three of them happened to be English, Spanish and Chinese.  The English one was SO difficult to understand; the woman giving the tour was German, and her English was very bad.  So, I followed around the Spanish tour, and Jody (who studies Chinese) followed around the Chinese tour, and we shared the info that we got out of them.  
I also had a really old, nasty-toothed British man tell me a few sex jokes.
That was a weird moment.

Mom and dad on Charles Bridge. 

One last shot of the bridge and the cathedral.  

2 comments:

E-ca said...

I LOVE all the pics Pam!!! They make me want to see all these places in person! I've decided to start saving my pennies and see if I can't get enough of them before you guys move!

Sue said...

I think Prague was probably my favorite city because of the architecture and age of the buildings.......and it was a gorgeous day! Besides that, we had an awesome tour guide!