Sorry in advance. All the pictures this week were pictures I just took. I didn't look for any of them. Lesson learned.
Day 162, June 11
There is a house in the midst of construction on our street, and the other day when we walked out, we noticed this tree on top of it. I have seen them around for various occasions, but never on top of a house. I thought to myself, "I should google that." But my neighbor beat me to it. With her permission, I stole this right off her blog:
The Richtfest is a German tradition where people who are building a house give thanks to the builders and all the other people involved in the construction work. It is celebrated when the walls of the house and the roof struts have been built. A fir wreath or fir tree is raised up onto the roof. The head carpenter thanks the client on behalf of all the laborers for work, wages, and bread and asks for God's blessing to be upon the house. The client drinks a toast and throws their glass from the top of the roof. The empty glass must break on the ground to bring good fortune and blessings onto the new house. They will then have a feast that includes traditional German foods for the workers, friends, neighbors, and relatives.
Day 163, June 12
Banana, Oatmeal and Peanut Butter Muffins.
These were actually pretty dang good. I spread some peanut butter on top before I ate them, and I was surprised that even my picky children ate them.
I haven't put this on my recipe blog yet, because I want permission from the source first. However, I can send you to her website.
Day 164, June 13
My desk.
Not much to say other than...
"It looks like everyone else's."
I have no problem showing everyone how messy my desk is. And on this night, I wasn't even attempting to clean it. I was catching up on Glee, via fastpasstv.
That's right, over here in Germany... well, anywhere outside the states... you can't watch TV shows online through the stations website (abc.com, nbc.com...). So we have to get creative.
Day 165, June 14
Tonight the kids and I attended a DENTAC dinner as a farewell for a couple of other dentists. It was fun, and the food was AWESOME. But on the way out I realized that we parked right next to a cemetery. I have a thing for cemeteries, so of course we stopped. I liked this shot the best, only because of the spiderwebs.
Day 166, June 15
I was told I had to attend the dinner last night, and I just figured it was because everyone wanted to see the kids, but when I got there, I was given these flowers. They're from Pete. He's in the middle of a war zone, but he had someone get me flowers. How awesome is that?
Day 157, June 16
The first gifts from dad. Pete picked up these hats in Afghanistan for the kids. Traditionally, they are only worn by the males, but he found a pink one and couldn't pass it up, so Annie got one too. Cooper hasn't quite decided if he likes his, yet.
Day 158, June 17
Cooper has been sporting a new hairdo lately. He loves it. I've been getting him to tell everyone that he's "rockin the hawk."









8 comments:
Love the tree/house/construction tradition. I'd love to see it started in the States. Heh.
Pete is rad. For the hats and the flowers and the sacrifice.
So are you.
Like the cemetery shot. I can just barely see the webs.
I live next to a cemetery, but it doesn't have a cool gate around it like that one.
Great pics! LOVE the gate shot! Very cool.
great set of shots. the cemetery fence shot is my favorite....but i really really really want a muffin now. :)
I love the story of the house, what a great traditon to bring people together and help them to appreciate each other.
I also loved the shot with the spiderwebs on the wrought iron fencing. Great for Halloween! And how sweet are those flowers! You have a keeper!
If you'd like to stop by my blog I'm at Cake Crumbs.
I can just hear Cooper saying "Rockin' the hawk". And I love the hats!
Great pictures all round. I jut ove the cemetery one and the muffins look so yummy.
What a neat and interesting tradition, thanks for sharing it. The hats are very cool. What a thoughtful husband you have!
Post a Comment