Thursday, March 4, 2010

Project 365, Week 9

365
Hosted by Chris


Day 57, February 26
We had a very short, very quick storm blow through this evening. I don't even think it rained; it was just uber-windy. A few minutes later, as I was washing dishes, I was greeted by this rainbow outside the kitchen window.
Please don't look closely at this shot. I realized today that there is a spot on my lens. Grrrr.....


Day 58, February 27
I noticed Pete's uniform hanging on the rail as I was cleaning. I have been meaning to take a picture of the flag on his sleeve since I learned he was deploying. Once he goes into war, the flag he wears will be a tannish-green, to match the uniform.
And it will stay that way.
You can always tell if a soldier has been deployed by looking at the flag on his arm.
Also, if you are wondering, the picture is not backwards.
The flag is reversed on the uniform, so that the stars always lead into battle.


Day 59, February 28
All of the snow here has melted, and it's also been raining a lot. This combination has made for a few flooded rivers.
The river is actually only the portion underneath the buildings, but you can see the flooding.
It's really not that bad, but it looks cool, right?


Day 60, March 1
This is the fence in my backyard.
The very quick storm that left the beautiful rainbow also tore down my fence.
In more than one spot.
Oh, and it "almost blew Cooper away" according to Annie.


Day 61, March 2
I was messing around with the mirrors in my hallways, and decided to put myself in the shot.
I shot at a mirror, which reflected a mirror, which reflected the mirror in the bathroom, which showed the star hanging in front of it.
Maybe this would have been cooler if I weren't in it....


Day 62, March 3
Honey-Lime Grilled Pork.
I always use this marinade for chicken, however on this night I was in the mood for pork.
It was A.MAZ.ING.
Wanna make it? Here you go.


Day 63, March 4
As I was waiting to pick Noah up from school today, I noticed the sun rays shining through the clouds. I stuck the camera out the window of the car, took a bunch of pictures, and then looked away from the camera to see my neighbor standing there staring at me.
A little odd....
But funny.
I get a lot of weird looks lately because of this 365 thing....


11 comments:

abby o said...

That's really cool about the flags on the uniforms...for all the years I spent "in the army" there's a lot I don't know. Cool.

E-ca said...

I get those looks too. I'm always sticking my camera out of the window when I'm stuck at stop lights. But it's fun! I love all your shots!!

Honey Mommy said...

Wow! Your picture of the sun through the clouds looks awesome!

I also love the rainbow. It is hard to get a good picture of one.

I never knew about the flags. Thanks for the nice pic and the education that went with it.

Stop on by and check out my 365!

Corey~living and loving said...

oooo the rainbow.....and the sunrays.....love them. ♥

debi9kids said...

made me smile. I get the strangest looks too. Just today i had to explain to my mayor, "It's a blog thing." LOL

LOVE your photos!The rainbow is gorgeous and so are the sun rays.

thanks for the info of the flag on your hubby's uniform. I never knew, even though my brother is military (he's stationed in Utah right now, but was in Turkey for 3 years)
please thank your hubby from my family for his service and thank you for the huge sacrifice your family is making. It NEVER goes unnoticed.

Chris said...

What a great lesson on uniform flags! I had no idea.

How are you guys holding up?

Great rainbow -- it's hard to get a good picture of a rainbow -- and your' use of "uber" -- very German!

Cecily R said...

I had no idea about the flags on uniforms. Everytime I see a uniform I'll be looking for the flags now.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the flood pic. It looks like a postcard.

The rays of sunshine are beautiful. I need to stick my camera out of my window more often. :)

Anonymous said...

Haha yeah I'm thinking that the looks kind of go with this 365 thing.

I love when you can see the sun rays coming down like that. So pretty.

I never knew that about the flag on a uniform.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Beautiful rainbow!
The flag facts were very cool thanks for sharing them. My sister served in the army and never told us about the flag. She was in Korea, Cuba, Saudi and Afghanistan.

Pete said...

Um, CORRECTION... The flag is changed on the ARMY uniform while deployed because it's not very camo. When you come home, it is changed back to the red-white and blue. A soldier may have deployed multiple times and will still have a colored flag while not in theater.

With the ARMY uniform, the deployment designator is a patch on the right arm. No patch=never deployed. Patch=the symbol of the last group with which the soldier deployed. A soldier may have multiple deployments, but will only ever have one patch on his right arm at any time.

For all of you in UTAH, this does not apply to the Airforce uniforms.

Pam Emmons said...

Ok, so I don't know the Army that well. Sorry, my dear!