Saturday, March 21, 2009

How To Make A Diaper Cake

I have made a few of these, each one turns out different.  They are a lot of fun as a centerpiece for a baby shower, or a cute way to give a gift.  This can easily be done with hand towels and washcloths for a bridal shower.

Items Needed:
At least 1 package of diapers.  I always use size 1
rubber bands of different sizes
wooden dowels
ribbon
toys, onesies, washcloths, or anything to add to the cake
large piece of cardboard

This is one I made this week for a baby shower:


5 onsies and 6 wash cloths



Hanging Toys


Take each diaper and roll it up, fastening it with a small rubber band.  You should be able to see the design on each diaper- this adds color to the cake.


Once you have rolled all the diapers, start putting them into groups with the larger rubber bands.  This is where you make each layer of the cake.  A package of size 1 diapers easily makes a three layer cake, however I used a few more diapers than that to make a four layer cake.  Make sure that the design is showing, and try to tuck all the corners inside the group.


As you finish the layer, add washcloths, onesies, or whatever you have to the outer part of the layer.  You want them to be seen, not hidden.


I actually don't do the wooden dowels until the end, but I wanted to show how they are placed.


Once your layers are made, stack them up, and secure with the wooden dowels.


See the cardboard on the bottom?  Cut a large circle out, just to set the cake on.


Hide the rubber bands with the ribbon.  As you tie the ribbon, also tie any hanging toys you may have.  If they do not hang, place on top (I once used rubber duckies).


The finished product.

3 comments:

Mandie said...

Are you going to be around, say, July? I need you to help me throw my sister in law a baby shower. It just won't be the same without you helping! Know of any good games?

Leslie said...

How creative!

Darci said...

that is so cute- i never thought of using onesies and wash cloths!