My grandma would have been 95 this month, if she were alive. She passed away when I was 16. When she died, I was able to take a few items from her house, and since I have had them they have been prominently displayed.
The china cabinet originally went to a cousin of mine, but was stored in my aunt's garage. It sat there for 7 years until I got up the courage to ask for it. So when I moved to Wisconsin, the cabinet came with me.
" Ethel loved to dance. Her favorite dance floors were Saltair, a resort on the shores of Salt Lake, the White City Ballroom on upper 25 th Street and the Berthana, a dance hall on 24th St., both in Ogden. She said she would always dance the first and the last dance with Elmo (standard dating practice at that time). The rest of the evening she spent with 'good dancers'.
During the 30's, Ethel played basketball. Her team traveled all over the West and played against all comers- women or men. They won several championships and tournaments. "
(From our family history)
This makes me laugh because grandma was only about 5'7", and she played center!
When I was a little girl, my job at grandma's house was to take care of her dolls. Every Saturday I cleaned them, and I did this until I was probably 15 or so. I loved these dolls, and looked forward to holding them each week. So when grandma passed away, I was heartbroken to find out that I had to share the dolls with my cousin. However, I love the dolls that I do have, and they now rest in her cabinet, along with others that I have added along the way, items that are very important to me.
These are things that have been added through the years. This is Pete's "Man Of The Year Award" from Weber State. I was so proud of him.
This is from one of my closest friends, Erica, who I now miss seeing all the time.
These bears were on our wedding cake.
This was also on our wedding cake, on the middle layer.
And this was on the top layer of our wedding cake.
And I love the praying hands.

19 comments:
Beautiful! Even if you had to share!
These are beautiful shots Pam! I think I remember packing this cabinet up to send you out to Wisconsin.
What great keepsakes.
oh you are so lucky - those are gorgeous!! I was too afraid to ask for my grandma's pretties when she passed along
Reading that actually makes me want to know your grandma's name so I can find a newspaper article about her! It's so nice that you have a piece of her still.
wow, that is incredibly beautiful!
Beautiful. I envy you your connections to the past.
Beautiful collection of memories. I love the cabinet and the crystal. So pretty. Thank you for sharing and have a happy Friday!
That is amazing the memories you have and will always remember. I have memories of my grandma but I have no idea if she played basketball or if she danced. I am so glad you shared. It is funny I had cherished teddies on my cake as well.
Oh wow, what treasured keepsakes indeed! Those are AMAZING.
These are beautiful photos, heirlooms and memories! You are lucky to have these beautiful possessions and this was a sweet tribute to your grandmother!
Have a good weekend - Kellan
That cabinet is beautiful.
Wow! What a wonderful story. Your dolls are GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing yoru keepsakes with us. :>)
That is just beautiful!
What beautiful treasures!
Lots of great mementos. :) You made me think of my grandmother and her trinkets, she had little mama animals attached with small chains to baby animals. :)
Very pretty dolls. So happy that you have that place to display them. For me it is my grandpa's bottles,and I have no place to display them.
Get this - my Grandma collected skunks!
She had a glass cabinet full of them. It was endearing.
I loved Holly Hobbie!
Post a Comment