Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Boot Camp Challenge, Week 1

A few months ago, my amazing friend Sarah asked me to help her teach a month long boot camp.  I was thrilled at the idea, and we began making plans.  As the plans came together, Sarah decided to turn this not only into a physical boot camp, but an all around well-being boot camp.  So we came up with a small challenge for every day of the month.  They aren't anything major or grand, however some of them really take some thought or effort.  So here are the first seven goals, and as the weeks go on, I will post the rest.


1.  Get 27 things out of your house.
Ready?  Here goes:
1.  Toy cupboard
2.  old curtains
3.  curtain rods
4.  2 pairs of shoes
5.  old purse
6.  old camera bag
7.  2 books
8.  old paper towel holder
9.  kids back pack
10.  old magazines
11.  baby shoes
12.  Kid toy
13.  pillows
14.  stuffed animals
15.  bed cover
16. another kid toy
17.  old pants
18.  sweater
19.  old cardboard boxes
20.  old wrapping paper that never gets used
21.  yet another kid toy
22.  old non-working phone
23.  kids books
24.  dress up clothes
25. kids hat
26.  old gloves
27.  snow boots

2.  De-clutter a trouble zone.
I figure my purse counts as a trouble zone.
Especially when my kids dig out a half eaten granola bar and ask if they can finish it.
Or when I pull out my ipod and it's covered in crumbs.
Or when it takes me 5 minutes to find a pen.
So on this day, I de-cluttered my purse.

3.  Deep clean one space.
I had all sorts of ideas for this one; my family is visiting next month and every inch of this house needs to be deep cleaned.  However, on this particular day I chose my kitchen.  For some reason, I spend more time in this room than any other room, not counting my bedroom when I sleep.  I choreograph dances in the kitchen, I bake and cook in the kitchen, and when Pete and I are deep in coversation we always end up in the kitchen, sitting on the counters.  
So I  moved everything off the counters and scrubbed.  I washed the walls. I cleaned out the appliances.  I scrubbed grease off the stove.  I swept AND mopped the floor (huge accomplishment in my house).  
I have yet to organize the cupboards and clean the fridge, but I just ran out of time.  
Plus, the fridge just scares me.

4.  Clean out your closet.
I actually did this one a few weeks before the challenge started.  I went through everything I have; shirts, pants, workout clothes, shoes.  I made a huge pile of stuff to get rid of, and considered trying to give it to people that I know.  But it came down to getting rid of it or letting it sit there, waiting to find a time to ask around- I decided to get rid of all of it.  

5.  Choose one bad habit to get rid of today.
Ok, I have to be honest.... I didn't actually do this one.  I tried.  Really I did. 
I have about a thousand bad habits to get rid of.  
I'll have to get back to you on this one.

6.  Conquer that nagging thing.
I have three kids.
Three kids create messes.
Especially in my car.
Every time I get in the car, I think "man, this car is messy.  I should really clean it."
 Apparently I verbalize this a lot, because Annie said to me on this particular day, "mom, you say that every time we get in the car." So, once I had an hour to kill that day(which doesn't happen often), I went out and CLEANED that car.  I mean, I wiped the smudges and the spilled drinks up, I vacuumed, I took the carseats out and cleaned them.  I did a major deep clean to the car, which is something that has needed to happen for a long time.

7.  Let go of a negative statement about yourself.
This is the first challenge I did, and it was kind of a major one for me.  My statement wasn't really a negative one, it's just a statement that I have made for years and I decided to change it.

"I am not a runner."

All my life I have danced, worked out and really been into physical activity.  But running never made it on the list.  So when Sarah asked me if I wanted to try the half marathon in Prague, I figured there was no better way to get into running than to train for something big.  I still can't say that I love running, but it is now something I can do and it doesn't kill me.  
I even plan on doing another 1/2 marathon next month. 
So my new statement is:

"I finished a half marathon, of course I am a runner."

And here are a few shots from the past week or so.  These women are amazing and so inspiring.






4 comments:

kacie said...

sounds like tons of fun!!!

Karen said...

Not sure why you picked 27 things but love the whole idea. Can't wait to read the other parts of your boot camp.

Tera said...

I love that you are posting this! Way to go.

Pete said...

1. I deep cleaned the fridge last month
2. Your car is a mess again.

:)