This post marks my 500th blog post!
In honor of this occasion, I have decided to re-live five of the biggest things that have happened since I started this blog, one for every one hundred posts.
This blog started out pretty lame, and unexciting; it was a good way for family to see what was happening in our lives from so far away. After 500 posts, I am starting to figure it out.
This blog has been an outlet for me at times, a place for me to rant or rave, a place for me to show off my adorable children, to talk about my love for my family and my love for my friends. It has documented weddings, funerals, births, graduations, moves, losses, funny sayings and many, many random thoughts.
Now, I could make this post go on forever. I could add SO MANY pictures.
But I won't... at least I'll try not to.
Event #1:
Cooper's Birth
After Annie was born, Pete and I swore up and down that we were done having kids. It was very difficult for me to conceive, and I needed help from the doctors to do it. We had come to the realization that a third biological child just wasn't in the cards for us, and we were ok with that.
When Annie was just a few months old, I had the distinct impression that there was one more baby.
I completely ignored this. For months.
When Annie was 10 months old, I learned that I was pregnant.
Yes, we were both floored. We kept this news to ourselves mostly, telling as few people as possible. The last time I was able to conceive on my own (my very first pregnancy) I miscarried. So naturally, this was my fear again.
During my 8th week of pregnancy, my placenta tore, and I assumed this was the end of the pregnancy.
It was a little rough for a while, but at 36 weeks, Cooper Adams Emmons was born, tiny- but very healthy.
He has been an amazing blessing to us. He keeps us on our toes all the time, makes us laugh constantly, and is always full of smiles.
I can't imagine our family without him.
Event #2:
Pete's Graduation From Dental School
This was the longest and hardest four years of our lives.
Pete attended Marquette School of Dentistry, and graduated in May 2008.
The four years leading up to that were a roller coaster ride, bigger than any I have ever been on.
However, I met some of my greatest friends during this time- one that I cannot live without.
Pete is an amazing dentist, and loves what he does. I was so very proud of him on this day, and continue to be proud of the effort and sacrifice he put into his education.
Here is what our cute little family looked like in May 2008, courtesy of Jenni Gilbreth Photography.
Event # 3:
We Moved To Tennessee And Into Our First House
We had been married 8 years at this point, and never lived in a house.
We moved to Tennessee so that Pete could attend a full year's worth of additional training through the Army, a program called the AEGD. We were stationed at Fort Campbell, just over the border in Kentucky. We knew we would only be here less than a year, but we were still very excited to have a house.
Getting into the house was a challenge; we first had to live in a hotel for two weeks while the house was being cleaned and readied for us. While still living in the hotel, my aunt in Utah passed away, so the kids and I left for about a week to go back home. Once we got back to TN, we moved into the house, and shortly after that, my grandpa passed away. So the kids and I again flew back home for 2 weeks.
We finally were able to settle down into the house, Pete started his residency, Noah started school, and I started teaching classes. I worked at the local YMCA again (I did the same in Milwaukee) and loved it. I was quite sad to leave that place when we moved. We left TN in July of 2009, 10 months after we had settled into the house.
We lived just off of Needmore Road...
And here is what the kids looked like in the fall of 2008
Event # 4:
Moving to Germany
While in TN, we learned that we would be moving to Texas for Pete's next military assignment, and we were quite excited. A few weeks later, however, we received an email telling us that plans had changed, and that we were headed to Germany.
This came as a shock to both of us, but for me especially. I was ready to move closer to family, close enough to take short trips when I wanted to. Moving to Germany would not afford me that luxury.
After we got over the shock, we were very excited to go, but still with hesitations of course.
We have been able to visit so many wonderful places in the last year, places that we wouldn't see if we were just traveling here.
A few of our vacations have been to Poland, Prague, Holland, Garmisch (Germany) and many little trips to see old castles and concentration camps.
Event # 5:
Pete's Deployment
We knew that a deployment was a possibility. But when Pete was placed with a DENTAC unit (all dental unit) his chances went down. However, his name came up, so off he went.
This deployment is almost over; it will be a total of about 7 months long. We are both ready for Pete to come home. I think, in a way, we have grown closer in our marriage, but that doesn't mean that the time away hasn't been hard. I admire the real Army wives who do this more than once, and for much longer than I have to.
Once he is home, he should not have to deploy again while he is in the Army.
Before he left, we decided it was time for some new family pictures.
And here he is, playing Army.
Thanks to all of you who have followed this blog for so long!
Here's to the next 500 posts!




























4 comments:
Cheers!
You have certainly had your fair share of ups and downs!! Cheers for the next few years!
Tammy
I, for one, am very grateful that you started this blog. It has made it easier for me and your Dad to feel like we can keep up with your family, no matter which side of the country - or world - you are living in.
I love seeing the pictures of the kids doing their everyday goofy things. I love the little stories and funny sayings and the things you have done - like Tennessee Tuesday - to help us see the world from your perspective. And I especially love how you document special happenings like birthdays and holidays.
So, even though you didn't do this just for us, I consider it a guilty pleasure that allows me to stay close to you - my amazing daughter - and your family.
So....here's to another 500 posts!
Love ya
500? Wow. I can't believe how fast time flies by. You've had some pretty amazing experiences.
Keep posting, and you'd better not slow down when you get close to family because I will always be following... :)
Post a Comment