Many of you know that recently, I lost my aunt and grandpa to cancer. I also have an aunt fighting it, a sister-in-law recovering from it, and a mother-in-law who survived it. With all of this cancer, I have recently been thinking about what I can do to help the fight.
Friday night I attended a wedding reception of a family member, where we got to talking to a lot of people, and the subject of my aunt's and grandpa's death came up. Someone asked if we had ever participated in a relay or walk for cancer, and I just thought, "why haven't I?"
I have been researching the Relay For Life, and have decided to put together a team. We will be in a relay in Kaysville on August 14, and we will be walking and running through the night. I will be able to walk side by side with my sister-in-law and mother-in-law in the "survivor walk" and then we will take turns keeping one person on the track at all times. There will also be some major partying going on, since the entire night will be filled with vendors and activities.
So far, Pete and I are in, and hoping to get many other team members. I haven't officially made the team; that's this weeks project. Once it's official, I would love for anyone in the area to become a team member. Let me know if you are interested.
I think there is no better way for me to honor my aunt and grandpa one year after their deaths than to raise money and run for cancer research.
If you are interested in joing the team, and want more information, check here.
5 comments:
Count us in! It sound great and I would love to walk with you. Thank you so much for getting this set up.
Way to go! What a great tribute to those you've lost.
Hey U, I would love to be part of this also. Walking is easy! Keep me in the loop.
Sandy
sounds like a awesome thing to be a part of! I did race for the cure several times with my mother-in-law being a survivor and it was an amazing experience. I think healing sometimes happens in unexpected ways and unexpected times. I'm sad to say we are going to Bear lake that weekend with my family or I would be on your team:( Best of luck, It will be great!
My grandmother died almost 11 years ago from cancer. Last year was the first time I did a bike ride for cancer research. So far this year I have done one, and will be doing another one in October. I hope your event goes well!
Post a Comment