Well, it's Thanksgiving Day, and that means I need to think about the things I am thankful for, right? A lot of things come to mind. I feel like this year I have so many more things to be thankful for than ever before. So I have decided to follow the wise teachings of David Letterman and make a top ten list.
10. My mini-van: I never, EVER, thought I would be thankful for such a thing. I never wanted one, and swore I would never get one. I thought it would be the end of my youth; the door would be closing on the fact that I was remotely "cool." But it is so convenient! So yes, I am thankful for my mini-van (just don't tell Pete).
9. Ice Cream: Seriously, I could not survive without this. I love chocolate chip cookie dough, or a good peanut butter. I can even sit down with a really good vanilla bean. Living in Wisconsin, I have to substitute it with custard (that's all you can find here). Although custard is yummy (especially Kopps), you can't make an ice cream cone out of it- it's not solid enough. So Ice cream beats all desserts.
8. My church calling: I have the opportunity to serve as President of our Young Women in the ward. It is a tough calling at times, but I wouldn't want to be doing anything else right now. I love the girls, and the other leaders, and all that I learn from each of them.
7. My camera: This is so materialistic of me, but it's true! I can pretend to be a photographer with this thing! It takes amazing pictures, and makes me proud to show them off. I will have such an amazing way of keeping memories of my family, and showing off all the things we do together!
6. The gym: This is a double shot. I am thankful for the gym because it provides a way for me feel better about myself, feel healthy, and let my children play in a very safe environment. It is the place my son attends preschool, and the place where my kids can interact with many other kids while I have time for myself. I am also thankful for the gym because it provides me with a job. I am able to teach classes in pilates and dance. These are both activities I have enjoyed for a while, and I love being able to help others feel good about themselves.
5. Glendale, Wisconsin: That's right. As much as I complain about this place, I am grateful for it, none the less. This is the place where my children started their lives and met their first friends. This is the place that has provided a home for my family for the last few years while Pete attends dental school. This is the place where I have met many wonderful and amazing friends. Some of these friends are ones who I will keep in touch with for a lifetime; one in particular I can't believe I had to come half-way across the country to find! This is also the place I am going to be saddened to leave, because of what I am leaving behind.
4. Cooper: This little boy is so new, and so tiny, yet I am so in love with him. He defied a few odds to get here, so I know he is here for a reason. I can't imagine a life without him. I will say this about each of my kids. I am thankful for someone who needs me so much, and doesn't mind snuggling with me in the middle of the night. I am thankful for his tiny hands and feet, and the sweet smile that is starting to come out. I am thankful for the chance to watch him grow and learn all the things I have to teach him.
3. Annie: She is a ball of energy and entertainment. I am thankful for a daughter who keeps me on my toes by putting an entire roll of toilet paper or a whole package of dryer sheets in the toilet. I am thankful for a little girl who I can appropriately call "curly sue". I am thankful for the way she says "mommy" or "see ya" "what?" or any of the words I still don't understand. She is such a joy to have, and I would be lost without her. I am thankful for the chance I have to share all the fun and not so fun girl things life is going to throw at her.
2. Noah: He is my oldest, the beginning of my motherhood. Noah has taught me so many things like patience (or the lack of), unconditional love, and how to not laugh when things are really funny, but not appropriate. He makes me laugh as much as he makes me cry, whether it's a sad or a happy cry. I cannot imagine a day without him in my world, and I miss him like crazy when I am away from him. I am thankful for the way he plays with my hair when he is tired, and always says "I love you" and hugs me when I need it the most.
1. Pete: He is the reason I have all the other things on my list. He has made it possible for me to live where I do, and be the mother that I am. He provides for me in so many ways, ways that I could only dream of before I met him. He makes me laugh, and knows me better than I think I know myself. He motivates me, tells me I can do anything and everything, and helps me have a better understanding of the things that are important to him. I would marry him all over again if I could. With Pete, I can imagine what my life would be like without him, and it's a life I would not want.
There are many other things that I am thankful for like my parents, all of my friends, my health, and the gospel. There are actually too many things on my list to make an actual list. Maybe next year I will make a longer list, and I am sure my list will change slightly. Stay tuned....
1 comment:
What a great list. Your family is amazing. I am so glad you are so happy and have so much to be thankful for. :)
Happy holidays!
Post a Comment