This year, for the 2nd year in a row, we participated in the Relay For Life, an all-night event sponsored by the American Cancer Society. This year, we had so many people, we had to put our extra team members on another team, and call them our own. I was so proud of this fact.
The event started with a walk around the track for the survivors only, because really, that's what this event is all about.
This little girl was the smallest survivor. It brought tears to my eyes.
The group of Survivors.
An Army Officer announced the flags that came by. Each one came by on a motorcycle, and made one full lap around the track.
The final walk for the survivors and their caregivers.
My aunt Sandy brought the ever-awesome hula hoops again. They were a hit, just like last year.
As our team's name was announced, we took a lap around the track, each of us with a hula-hoop.
It's harder than it looks.
One of the events of the night was called "Mr. Relay." Men dressed in drag and competed for money. It was spectacular!
A few princesses, enjoying the hoops...
One of our raffle items this year was a handmade quilt, done by none other than my own aunt Sally. This quilt brought in tons of money, as well as the stationary exercise bike we raffled off.
We also had a bake sale, and my sister-in-law sold a ton of handmade hackey sacks.
My insane(ly) awesome team!!!
My mother-in-law was the lucky winner of the quilt!
At 10:00 pm, the luminaries were lit in a very cool ceremony. After all were lit, the lights on the track went out, and everyone took a lap on the track, which was only lit by these luminaries. The song that played in the background was "I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLaughlin. This was the point that I lost control of all my emotions. I walked the track, holding Cooper, and crying.
The luminaries have names of those lost to cancer, and those still fighting. The loss part of that is still so close to me.
At 1:30 a.m., I taught a Zumba class. It was the biggest activity of the night, and it was a good middle-of-the-night break. Everyone was awake after that.
I left the relay at around 4:00 a.m. to head to St. George for a wedding. I was so grateful to all my team members and all the hard work they put into this. I am looking forward to doing it again next year!!















No comments:
Post a Comment